Call for Participants the 4th EMBRIO Field Course
International Summer School “MARINE BIODIVERSITY FOR SUSTAINABLE FISHERIES AND SEAFOOD INDUSTRY”
4-10 August, 2019
EMBRIO (‘Enhancing Marine Biodiversity Research in IndOnesia’) is a network initiative initiated by the Vice Rector for Research & Collaboration of the IPB University (Bogor Agricultural University), Indonesia, to promote scientific innovation based on marine biodiversity resources and to strengthen counteractions against marine biodiversity loss. EMBRIO aims to grow into an Indonesia-wide network with strategic international partners and a ‘Center of Excellence’ in Indonesian Marine Biodiversity Research. The EMBRIO Initiative is coordinated by the IPB Faculty of Fisheries & Marine Sciences (IPB-FPIK).
The research training in the frame of the annual EMBRIO Field Course is based on the EMBRIO Goals “Understanding, Protecting / Rehabilitating & Sustainable Use of Indonesian Marine Biodiversity”.
In August 2019, the 4th EMBRIO Field Course will be conducted as an international summer school on the topic “MARINE BIODIVERSITY FOR SUSTAINABLE FISHERIES AND SEAFOOD INDUSTRY”. The training modules of this course will provide a general introduction to common field study techniques of marine biodiversity. The immense value this biodiversity holds for biotechnological innovation will be highlighted to create a fundamental understanding among the participants of the significance to sustain this treasure for future generations.
Time and Course Locations
- Course Duration: August 4 – 10, 2019
- IPB International Convention Center, Bogor
- Fishery Industry, Sentul, Bogor
- Madidihang Research Vessel (on board)
- Thousand Islands
- Modern Market, Muara Baru, Jakarta
- Foreign participants: $ 350 (Flight tickets not included)
- Domestic participants: IDR 1.500.000
Please wire transfer to
Account holder: Rektor IPB c/q FPIK
Bank name : BNI
Account number : 0003889960
Swift code : BNINIDJA
*Participation payment included registration fee, course modules, meals, hotel & home stay, local transportation, and field trips entrance.
Course Modules & Activity
- Lecture 1: Predeparture briefing, introduction to course, objectives, plan for the week
- Lecture 2: Join the 4th EMBRIO International Symposium (Day 1)
- Lecture 3: Join the 4th EMBRIO International Symposium (Day 2)
- Field trip to fishery industry, Sentul, Bogor
- Field trip to Pasar Modern, Muara Baru, Jakarta
- Lecture 4: Introduction to ecologically-friendly fishing gear & morphometric measurement
- Practice 1: Handline fishing
- Lecture 5: Introduction to marine biodiversity in Indonesia & introduction to snorkeling
- Lecture 6: Identifying marine organisms
- Practice 2: Snorkeling practice, sampling benthic reef environments & fish population
- Lecture 7: Introduction to mariculture
- Field trip to mariculture cage
- Lecture 8: Exploration of tropical marine resources for food and nonfood industry
- Lecture 9: Socioeconomics, fisheries and local communities
- Project Work & Report Presentation (STUDENT COMPETITION)
Highly motivated Undergraduate and Graduate Students who are eager to gain hands-on experience in marine ecosystem research and comprehensive theoretical foundation for their scientific career in the field of understanding, protecting/rehabilitating & sustainably using Indonesia’s marine biodiversity.
How to apply
Please register on bit.ly/SCembrio before July 7, 2019
Please note: The course is limited to max. 10 Indonesian participants and 15 International participants to allow for an intensive interaction. The participants will be selected based on their written applications (criteria: scientific qualifications and motivation).
July 7, 2019
For questions or to submit your EMBRIO Field Course 2019 application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org